Lexington Council Garden Clubs is pleased to share with you information for applying for funds from proceeds of the June 2017 OPEN GATES TO BLUEGRASS LIVING GARDEN TOUR.
To be considered for funding, the project must meet the following criteria:
- Must be in Fayette County, except for projects at GCKY State Headquarters.
- Must not be for private use or operated for profit.
- Must be in line with the following purposes of the Lexington Council Garden Clubs:
- Aid in the protection, enhancement, and conservation of natural resources and civic beauty.
- Stress will be on the use of native plants. No invasive species allowed.
- Advance the art of gardening, floral design, landscape design, and the study of horticulture.
- Further horticulture education, conservation, and landscape design through scholarships.
- Continue restoration and maintenance of designated historic shrines and State Garden Club Headquarters.
Approved funds shall be used within twelve months of date of approval or a written request for extended date submitted to the LCGC President, Karen Angelucci. Once a project is approved, a designated LCGC member will monitor the project and provide written reports on the status of the project to the LCGC.
Grants and Scholarships
Proceeds from the Open Gates to Bluegrass Living Garden Tour provide funding to selected projects and scholars in Fayette County*, Kentucky, through grants and scholarships. In the past, funding has been given to:
- Scholarships for: horticulture, landscape architecture, forestry, conservation, and other allied subjects
- Landscaping for: New Life Homeless Day Center; VA Hospital; Lexington Public Library, Tates Creek Branch; Wild Ones Lexington Chapter’s Monarch Waystation at Wellington Park; The Hope Center; Ronald McDonald House; Meditation Garden at the Markey Cancer Center; Blackburn Abundant Life Chapel; Waveland State Historic Site; local schools; and community gardens
- Historic Preservation: Hunt Morgan House, The Wallis Home (State Headquarters for The Garden Club of Kentucky, Inc.), and Waveland State Historic Site
- Educational activities at: The State Botanical Garden, Fayette County Extension Service, and local schools
*Exception: The Wallis Home & Arboretum, State Headquarters of Garden Club of Kentucky, Paris, Kentucky.
Apply for a scholarship
LCGC-designated scholarships of $500 per year are awarded to University of Kentucky students who meet the criteria for a Garden Club of Kentucky scholarship. The scholarships are administered through The Garden Club of Kentucky, Inc.