GARDENING FRIENDS– its time to start digging and designing your winning garden! Let’s recognize the fabulous gardens that make Lexington a more beautiful place to live and work!
The 2018 LEXINGTON IN BLOOM contest is now open for garden entries.
The goal of the contest is to instill a spirit of community, to increase civic pride, and to improve the visual appeal of Lexington through the imaginative use of flowers, plants, and trees. Help the Lexington Council Garden Clubs recognize the most outstanding gardens in Fayette County. Enter your own garden, or that of someone else.
- Residence, front yard, amateur gardener
- Residence, front yard, professionally landscaped
- Business, large garden or planting
- Business, small garden or planting
- Professional designers and landscapers may enter a maximum of three of their own designs. However, the owners of gardens for whom they have designed may submit their own entries.
- 2016 First Place winners will not be eligible to win again in 2018.
- Business means commercial entitites.
*Nominations in the 6.Miscellaneous category may include
- a) community gardens
- b) small displays : container gardens, windowboxes, etc.;
- c) neighborhood association entrances
- d) schools, churches, non-profit entities, etc.
- e) butterfly/rain gardens/native plantings;
- f) vegetable gardens.
- All entries must be within Fayette County.
- The garden must be visible to the public from the street.
- Entry forms must be received by Friday, June 1, 2018.
Criteria for judging will be in the following areas:
|1. First impression||3. Maintenance||5. Suitability of design to location and function|
|2. Use of color and texture||4. Plant selection||6. Creativity|
Entries will be judged by panels of Landscape Designers, Master Gardeners, 2016 1st place winners, and experienced gardeners from the Lexington Council Garden Clubs, between June 9-12. A winner is not necessarily selected in every category.
Awards will be presented to the winners at a reception on Sunday, June 24, from 2-3:30p.m. at the Eastside Branch, Lexington Public Library, 3000 Blake James Dr, Lexington, Kentucky 40509.